KC and I played duffel bag a couple of times this past weekend. Seth joined us the second time. At first I was uncomfortable with the idea. I'm not very good a deceit. I was going to sit up front with Nancy, but as we turned the corner we saw that there was no way for Seth and I to switch seats. It had to be done. It was saving us a bunch of money on the ferry over to Vancouver Island. So I slid down in the seat, twisting my back a bit, and we spread a sleeping bag over us. Nancy through a few bags and sweaters on top of the sleeping bag, making it look more casual. For some reason, this couple from Nova Scotia had too much stuff and their van was a mess. We played a show in Duncan, and one in Nanaimo (which triggered an obsession with Nanaimo Bars until I finally had one yesterday at the CBC building) and repeated the process.
Sunday was a long day at Home Fest. There were 20 to 30 bands playing in this space that was normally a dance studio upstairs in a building in a warehouse and fishplant district. It fucking stunk, but it was a good time. As well as some of Seth's friends that came to the show, Shawn Scott, Adam Todd, and Jef Simmons were all there. That night we returned to our home away from home in North Van.
Last night we watched Knocked Up and Barfly. Currently, Nancy and I are computing, Seth is Grand Theft Autoing, and KC is guitaring. I might have to play more Guitar Hero later.
We did some more shopping in Duncan. I got Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual and the Carpenters' Close To You records and Donna Williams' book, Somebody Somewhere. The book has taken my interest from the other three I'm reading, including a Cyndi Lauper biography I got in Sault Ste. Marie along with a Cat Power 7". I'm quite a fan of Donna Williams. Her first book, Nobody Nowhere really changed my life. I read it this past winter, and it was the final piece of the puzzle of accepting what's "wrong" with me (I prefer to think of it as what's different about me). Except for A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, it was the first time I ever related so perfectly to a character. And that dog book is fiction. Donna's books are autobiographical. I like what I've seen of her paintings as well. Someday, I hope to be able to acquire one.
I've worked very hard this year to go from being a nobody nowhere to a somebody somewhere. And to figure out and love who that somebody is. I'd say this book came to me at a perfect time. I'm very happy about it, especially the fact that I got it for only $2.50.
Life is good.
Three years ago, it was HPX time.
Sunday was a long day at Home Fest. There were 20 to 30 bands playing in this space that was normally a dance studio upstairs in a building in a warehouse and fishplant district. It fucking stunk, but it was a good time. As well as some of Seth's friends that came to the show, Shawn Scott, Adam Todd, and Jef Simmons were all there. That night we returned to our home away from home in North Van.
Last night we watched Knocked Up and Barfly. Currently, Nancy and I are computing, Seth is Grand Theft Autoing, and KC is guitaring. I might have to play more Guitar Hero later.
We did some more shopping in Duncan. I got Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual and the Carpenters' Close To You records and Donna Williams' book, Somebody Somewhere. The book has taken my interest from the other three I'm reading, including a Cyndi Lauper biography I got in Sault Ste. Marie along with a Cat Power 7". I'm quite a fan of Donna Williams. Her first book, Nobody Nowhere really changed my life. I read it this past winter, and it was the final piece of the puzzle of accepting what's "wrong" with me (I prefer to think of it as what's different about me). Except for A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, it was the first time I ever related so perfectly to a character. And that dog book is fiction. Donna's books are autobiographical. I like what I've seen of her paintings as well. Someday, I hope to be able to acquire one.
I've worked very hard this year to go from being a nobody nowhere to a somebody somewhere. And to figure out and love who that somebody is. I'd say this book came to me at a perfect time. I'm very happy about it, especially the fact that I got it for only $2.50.
Life is good.
Three years ago, it was HPX time.
3 Comments:
Darn...it seems I may have missed out on a Dog Day show in vancouver. Is this true? I'll try and find out from a web site or something. I want a cd as well. I wish I could bring Sabine. She loves to dance...and I think she'll be a drummer...
By
Anonymous, at 8/11/07 7:00 pm
It looks like the show was last night. This reminds me of middle school and how I would find out about parties after they were partied out. meh. Maybe something will be happening in halifax over Christmas. At least we'll have a designated babysitter. I hope it snows.
By
Anonymous, at 8/11/07 7:12 pm
You're in Vancouver!?! That sounds familiar. I guess I forgot. We were there for a fucking week. It would have been so good to see you and meet Sabine. I met a baby (well, I met her in August) in Manitoba, and she's quite a screamer. Her a Sabine should totally form a band someday.
Next time I travel, I'll get in touch. I think I still have an email for you, if you still use that one.
By
crystal, at 9/11/07 5:52 am
Post a Comment
<< Home