I feel great, after sleeping in so late. I feel bad for my baby who had to work at 8:00 today. It's been a very long, tiring, fun weekend. In fact, this past weekend (realizing that work plays no part in whether or not it's the "weekend" to me) was as long as a normal work week.
Thursday- I worked late so Graham could move gear from Stage Nine to the Attic. I was supposed to go from work to the jam spot, but our practice got cancelled. Well, it was postponed until Sunday. Got home, ate and stuff, and went to the Attic. I've never gone to many metal shows, and I enjoyed myself even though I didn't look like it. I sat at a table, staring at the bands, smoking and yawning. I left early. I wanted to see Hellacaust, but I couldn't stay for the whole set. Too tired, and it was just the first weekend night. I liked all the bands.
Friday- Dog Day had a drunk practice planned. Friday was one of those days where there was too much to do and decisions had to be made. Christ was taking some drums to that cafe, so we decided to practice after his show with his brother. [This is where I'm picking up finishing this draft. Uh. Let me think.] So, we had some beers and stuff at Seth and Nancy's and went to the show at the cafe. Just when we walked in, Christ covered a Holiday Snaps songs. One of the good ones. That was a good night. Then, more beers and stuff at the place, and down to the jam spot. As you can imagine, the practice was fun. It was also, surprisingly, productive. We had been working so hard to get ready for our CD release (we did have a bunch of new songs, including one called "Great Pains" and a Replacements cover), it was good to just have fun with it.
Saturday- I worked until close while Oh God recorded. The plan was to go home and clean all night because my grandparents (who I hadn't seen in 7 years) were coming to visit. I knew that wasn't going to happen, and I didn't really care. I hadn't seen them in 7 years. They could judge me if they wanted to. So, I'm at work and the phone rings. The name that comes up on the caller ID was close to the name of a friend of mine, and I recognized the number. It was KC.
"Everyone wants you to come here after work."
in the background: "did you ruin it?"
"No, I didn't ruin it."
What did you say?
"Uh, I said I didn't ruin it."
Okay... Um, yeah, I can take a bus to Robie or something and come over. See you then.
I suspected he had a surprise for me and I suspected what the surprise was and I was right. I had a good time that night. Remember when we listened to Green Day? God, did that bring me back. I sang along and remembered the guy who, in grade 10, gave me a piece of malachite. I've recently found that malachite in my old jewellery box. I wouldn't go out with that guy because he lived in Truro. Too bad he was the only guy (when I was in grade 10) who wanted me at all. Well, a bunch of speds wanted me. They probably sensed that I was one of them, but smart enough to pass as normal.
Sunday- We ended up canceling practice because of the impending visit. I didn't want to get out of bed at all. Not cleaning the night before meant I had to get up early to clean. My grandparents arrived and we had an okay time. They got along with KC and took us to Cousin's. Then we watched Meet the Parents and let them sleep in our bed (we gave them clean sheets). I slept on the little couch while KC slept on two chairs pulled together. It's too bad they were only in town for a day. I was too shy to really talk to them. If I had a few days with them, it would've been great in the end. KC was great at filling up the awkward silences.
Monday- I got up super early (for me). They took me to Tim Horton's. That's where I found out that not just one of them was a cancer survivor, but both. I knew of one. My grandfather told me of the other while his wife was in the bathroom. His prostate cancer was operated on and he's been fine for 7 years now, but he has to get checked again when he gets home. His wife, however, found her's by a fluke. She was in the hospital at McMaster for a completely different, unimportant (at least in comparison) reason. They randomly chose her for some students to run some other tests on. That's how they found it. She had surgery and a few months of radiation. I didn't find out what "kind" of cancer she had because Ralph stopped talking about it as she returned from the pisser. Then they took me to buy a coffee maker. "Think of us whenever you make coffee." Then we went home and used my new coffee maker. Then, they were gone and I was off to work.
That night was MOTORHEAD!! KC and I have a Motorhead condom wrapper (well, a cardboard case that holds the generic condom inside a wrapper) on our wall in the sun room. It means even more to us now. I couldn't get comfortable there. Many times, I had a direct view to at least part of the stage, but I'm sure my jumping, leaning, and fidgeting was annoying the people around me. Finally, I noticed quite a gap to my left and jumped into it. There was enough room for me to light a smoke and not feel guilty about it. The two girls in front of me started whispering and pointing. I thought they were going to complain about my smoking, but then one came over and bummed one. The crowd started closing back in around me. The problem is, this time I was by myself, and not near people I knew. I didn't think the claustrophobia would kick in if I loved the band that much, but it did. Just as I began struggling with it, KC tapped me. Having him there helped, but I was suddenly in a desperate need of something to drink. I talked him into coming with me. I was just looking for water, but it turned out the "bar" was relatively empty (go figure. Actually, what I don't understand is why there were still so many people in there. MOTORHEAD was on stage!). All they had left were coolers, and the Mike's Hard Lemonade was quite refreshing. It's been years since I've had that stuff. We realized there was a much better view over here, and found a good spot for the rest of the show. Outside we stood around and talked while some guy busked out Motorhead, AC/DC, and a Red Hot Chili Peppers ballad. I wanted to leave, or at least not stand in the exit path.
I know I didn't say anything about the actual show. It was one of the best I've seen. If you weren't there, that's your problem. Maybe you read someone else's review. That's not what I do.
(finished May 18)
Thursday- I worked late so Graham could move gear from Stage Nine to the Attic. I was supposed to go from work to the jam spot, but our practice got cancelled. Well, it was postponed until Sunday. Got home, ate and stuff, and went to the Attic. I've never gone to many metal shows, and I enjoyed myself even though I didn't look like it. I sat at a table, staring at the bands, smoking and yawning. I left early. I wanted to see Hellacaust, but I couldn't stay for the whole set. Too tired, and it was just the first weekend night. I liked all the bands.
Friday- Dog Day had a drunk practice planned. Friday was one of those days where there was too much to do and decisions had to be made. Christ was taking some drums to that cafe, so we decided to practice after his show with his brother. [This is where I'm picking up finishing this draft. Uh. Let me think.] So, we had some beers and stuff at Seth and Nancy's and went to the show at the cafe. Just when we walked in, Christ covered a Holiday Snaps songs. One of the good ones. That was a good night. Then, more beers and stuff at the place, and down to the jam spot. As you can imagine, the practice was fun. It was also, surprisingly, productive. We had been working so hard to get ready for our CD release (we did have a bunch of new songs, including one called "Great Pains" and a Replacements cover), it was good to just have fun with it.
Saturday- I worked until close while Oh God recorded. The plan was to go home and clean all night because my grandparents (who I hadn't seen in 7 years) were coming to visit. I knew that wasn't going to happen, and I didn't really care. I hadn't seen them in 7 years. They could judge me if they wanted to. So, I'm at work and the phone rings. The name that comes up on the caller ID was close to the name of a friend of mine, and I recognized the number. It was KC.
"Everyone wants you to come here after work."
in the background: "did you ruin it?"
"No, I didn't ruin it."
What did you say?
"Uh, I said I didn't ruin it."
Okay... Um, yeah, I can take a bus to Robie or something and come over. See you then.
I suspected he had a surprise for me and I suspected what the surprise was and I was right. I had a good time that night. Remember when we listened to Green Day? God, did that bring me back. I sang along and remembered the guy who, in grade 10, gave me a piece of malachite. I've recently found that malachite in my old jewellery box. I wouldn't go out with that guy because he lived in Truro. Too bad he was the only guy (when I was in grade 10) who wanted me at all. Well, a bunch of speds wanted me. They probably sensed that I was one of them, but smart enough to pass as normal.
Sunday- We ended up canceling practice because of the impending visit. I didn't want to get out of bed at all. Not cleaning the night before meant I had to get up early to clean. My grandparents arrived and we had an okay time. They got along with KC and took us to Cousin's. Then we watched Meet the Parents and let them sleep in our bed (we gave them clean sheets). I slept on the little couch while KC slept on two chairs pulled together. It's too bad they were only in town for a day. I was too shy to really talk to them. If I had a few days with them, it would've been great in the end. KC was great at filling up the awkward silences.
Monday- I got up super early (for me). They took me to Tim Horton's. That's where I found out that not just one of them was a cancer survivor, but both. I knew of one. My grandfather told me of the other while his wife was in the bathroom. His prostate cancer was operated on and he's been fine for 7 years now, but he has to get checked again when he gets home. His wife, however, found her's by a fluke. She was in the hospital at McMaster for a completely different, unimportant (at least in comparison) reason. They randomly chose her for some students to run some other tests on. That's how they found it. She had surgery and a few months of radiation. I didn't find out what "kind" of cancer she had because Ralph stopped talking about it as she returned from the pisser. Then they took me to buy a coffee maker. "Think of us whenever you make coffee." Then we went home and used my new coffee maker. Then, they were gone and I was off to work.
That night was MOTORHEAD!! KC and I have a Motorhead condom wrapper (well, a cardboard case that holds the generic condom inside a wrapper) on our wall in the sun room. It means even more to us now. I couldn't get comfortable there. Many times, I had a direct view to at least part of the stage, but I'm sure my jumping, leaning, and fidgeting was annoying the people around me. Finally, I noticed quite a gap to my left and jumped into it. There was enough room for me to light a smoke and not feel guilty about it. The two girls in front of me started whispering and pointing. I thought they were going to complain about my smoking, but then one came over and bummed one. The crowd started closing back in around me. The problem is, this time I was by myself, and not near people I knew. I didn't think the claustrophobia would kick in if I loved the band that much, but it did. Just as I began struggling with it, KC tapped me. Having him there helped, but I was suddenly in a desperate need of something to drink. I talked him into coming with me. I was just looking for water, but it turned out the "bar" was relatively empty (go figure. Actually, what I don't understand is why there were still so many people in there. MOTORHEAD was on stage!). All they had left were coolers, and the Mike's Hard Lemonade was quite refreshing. It's been years since I've had that stuff. We realized there was a much better view over here, and found a good spot for the rest of the show. Outside we stood around and talked while some guy busked out Motorhead, AC/DC, and a Red Hot Chili Peppers ballad. I wanted to leave, or at least not stand in the exit path.
I know I didn't say anything about the actual show. It was one of the best I've seen. If you weren't there, that's your problem. Maybe you read someone else's review. That's not what I do.
(finished May 18)
2 Comments:
"KC was great at filling up the awkward silences."
He should put that on his resume. Everybody needs someone around who is good at that.
Repo
By
Anonymous, at 20/5/05 5:43 pm
Resume worthy, for sure. And, I think he'll be looking for a job in the summer/fall.
By
crystal, at 24/5/05 1:51 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home