Well, I don't work with Greg anymore. At Drock's birthday party, Greg was talking about the legacy of band names he's leaving behind: Sidewalk Slutz, System Shit, and Hookerblood. He called them the three best band names in the city. They're the three most something band names, but I wouldn't say best. Oh well, we all have opinions.
Three weeks ago, Hookerblood played their second "show" in Hell. Although he said he wouldn't drink at all that night, Greg drank about (at least?) 6 beer, but he still managed to get up at 7:00 and pass his driver's test. Good thing. I was worried that Hookerblood would be the reason he couldn't move on with his career. The day he passed the test, he got hired for Aircraft Maintenance in Yellowknife (he flew up there yesterday, if the flight was on schedule), and my boss hired Graham. So now I work with Graham (and I've been promoted to Greg's spot. It feels good to have a key). Graham's in bands too. He plays in Hellacaust, System Shit, and was in the Slutz. I think he might also be in Terratomb (just guessing from overhearing something) and he was in that Slayer tribute band that played the Attic the night Slayer played the Metro Centre. He seems like a decent guy. I worked with his girlfriend at Harvey's way back. I make conversation with my coworkers. In fact, to some, I might be too talkative. At Harvey's, it came up that we were both female bass players. When the Briefs formed, I excitedly told her. Just responded by informing me that it was just so cliche to be in a girl band. I said, "oh well, it'll be fun." And it was.
This weekend consisted of many going away parties for Greg. First, a private club with my boss and some coworkers on Thursday. To me, that place is the Greek Charlie's, so of course I love it. We didn't follow when part of the party went up to Ginger's (or the Granite. Is that the saame place?) for an acquaintance's (to me) birthday, or when the guy of honour went to the Attic to continue drinking. We went home to rest. I wish my boy didn't work so early every day.
Friday night, was the party at the Seahorse. The KNA had a show booked with this band Kingswood, from the valley, and had called a week or two ago to see if the Hold wanted to play. KC suggested Hookerblood. The show was three days before Greg left, so it would be a perfect last show. Since Hookerblood only has a few songs, it was agreed that the Sidewalk Slutz could play their final show as well. Each band brought cd's, and the look and sound of HB makes it a suitable addition to the Divorce catalog. I had a great time. I got a chance to get to know some of Greg's friends that I had seen stop into work, and see some bands I liked and drink. After Hookerblood, System Shit stormed the stage. Why not? HB only played 6 songs, and people were asking for more, which they didn't have. I hope the KNA got to play a decent set. I hope they weren't too upset about "those guys" crashing the show. I know most people had left or moved into the smoking room (yes, where the pool tables are is now the Seahorse smoking room) while they played. People were just that interested in Greg. This night, we did take the party the whole way. We followed the guy of honour to the jam spot. I suppose the party did continue after we left the jam spot, but hey, we're getting old and both had to work Saturday.
Saturday was a party in Dartmouth with his close friends; we weren't there.
I'm glad I got to work with Greg for half a year. Now, I think of him as a friend, instead of just that guy from the punk site that I see at shows sometimes. But, one more friend is one more person to miss, now that he's gone.
Three weeks ago, Hookerblood played their second "show" in Hell. Although he said he wouldn't drink at all that night, Greg drank about (at least?) 6 beer, but he still managed to get up at 7:00 and pass his driver's test. Good thing. I was worried that Hookerblood would be the reason he couldn't move on with his career. The day he passed the test, he got hired for Aircraft Maintenance in Yellowknife (he flew up there yesterday, if the flight was on schedule), and my boss hired Graham. So now I work with Graham (and I've been promoted to Greg's spot. It feels good to have a key). Graham's in bands too. He plays in Hellacaust, System Shit, and was in the Slutz. I think he might also be in Terratomb (just guessing from overhearing something) and he was in that Slayer tribute band that played the Attic the night Slayer played the Metro Centre. He seems like a decent guy. I worked with his girlfriend at Harvey's way back. I make conversation with my coworkers. In fact, to some, I might be too talkative. At Harvey's, it came up that we were both female bass players. When the Briefs formed, I excitedly told her. Just responded by informing me that it was just so cliche to be in a girl band. I said, "oh well, it'll be fun." And it was.
This weekend consisted of many going away parties for Greg. First, a private club with my boss and some coworkers on Thursday. To me, that place is the Greek Charlie's, so of course I love it. We didn't follow when part of the party went up to Ginger's (or the Granite. Is that the saame place?) for an acquaintance's (to me) birthday, or when the guy of honour went to the Attic to continue drinking. We went home to rest. I wish my boy didn't work so early every day.
Friday night, was the party at the Seahorse. The KNA had a show booked with this band Kingswood, from the valley, and had called a week or two ago to see if the Hold wanted to play. KC suggested Hookerblood. The show was three days before Greg left, so it would be a perfect last show. Since Hookerblood only has a few songs, it was agreed that the Sidewalk Slutz could play their final show as well. Each band brought cd's, and the look and sound of HB makes it a suitable addition to the Divorce catalog. I had a great time. I got a chance to get to know some of Greg's friends that I had seen stop into work, and see some bands I liked and drink. After Hookerblood, System Shit stormed the stage. Why not? HB only played 6 songs, and people were asking for more, which they didn't have. I hope the KNA got to play a decent set. I hope they weren't too upset about "those guys" crashing the show. I know most people had left or moved into the smoking room (yes, where the pool tables are is now the Seahorse smoking room) while they played. People were just that interested in Greg. This night, we did take the party the whole way. We followed the guy of honour to the jam spot. I suppose the party did continue after we left the jam spot, but hey, we're getting old and both had to work Saturday.
Saturday was a party in Dartmouth with his close friends; we weren't there.
I'm glad I got to work with Greg for half a year. Now, I think of him as a friend, instead of just that guy from the punk site that I see at shows sometimes. But, one more friend is one more person to miss, now that he's gone.
2 Comments:
Sweet. Nice to see you back on the blog, raisin. Can I call you raisin? It's a term of endearment. Whaddayasay?
By
ling-ling san, at 17/11/04 9:28 am
I suppose you could can me raisin; you already did. I'll accept it as long as you let me call you pickle.
Hope everything's going well in O-dot, pickle.
By
crystal, at 17/11/04 11:45 am
Post a Comment
<< Home