If you haven't been going to Hell's Kitchen much in the last few months, you've missed some good times. You've missed HookerBlood's brief existence, maybe, but one thing for sure, you missed this past Tuesday. You missed Drock singing Crustor (sp?) with the Dean Malenkos. You missed Stool Face with their nurse and theatrics. But above all else, you missed Gunts 'n' Roses. I don't know if that's the name they settled on, but it's the one I was told that night. The band is Matt Lefort, Craig Hamlin, Chuck Teed, and Crud and Pete McFadden. They play GNR songs. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, I had not doubt on the musical ability of the members. I just wasn't confident that my friend Matt would be a good Axl. I just couldn't picture it. But, he did a better Axl than Axl himself did on that music awards show a few years ago. Good Lord, when they kicked into the first song, and Matt did those spins, I lost it.
But, fret not. You have at least one more chance to see them. December 9th at Reflections. It'll be better than Tuesday. They'll be doing a full set, and put more into their costumes. I can't wait. I'll bring the camera I forgot on Tuesday.
Oh, and for those of you ex-Haligonians who may not know, the Marquee has announced that they are closing their doors for good on January 11. For some reason, I'm very happy about that. I guess it's because my hatred for the place had only been growing the last few years. I understand the blow it will have on the music community, but locally? I think not. Locally, people will continue to find places to play. But, for those few shows that made the Marquee relevant, well, they might not have another place to go. Why did they have that HUGE venue open all the time? Why didn't they just open it when they actually had HUGE shows? According to this week's SNARK in the Coast, they're closing down because people want free water.
Also, G. W. Bush is coming to Hal-town next Wednesday. I'm scared. I still vividly remember the G7 finance minister thing when I worked at Mahons. For that reason, I hope he doesn't leave the airport. But fuck, things'll be interesting wherever he is. Maybe we'll be on the Daily Show.
My nose still hurts. A month later. It's not like I'm waling around in constant pain, but when I rub my nose or my eyes, the pain shoots through my skull from the bridge of my nose. Maybe I did break it. Why didn't it bleed? The damage, however, wasn't permanent as I had first suspected. My sense of smell has returned. The sniffer is a little crooked.
But, fret not. You have at least one more chance to see them. December 9th at Reflections. It'll be better than Tuesday. They'll be doing a full set, and put more into their costumes. I can't wait. I'll bring the camera I forgot on Tuesday.
Oh, and for those of you ex-Haligonians who may not know, the Marquee has announced that they are closing their doors for good on January 11. For some reason, I'm very happy about that. I guess it's because my hatred for the place had only been growing the last few years. I understand the blow it will have on the music community, but locally? I think not. Locally, people will continue to find places to play. But, for those few shows that made the Marquee relevant, well, they might not have another place to go. Why did they have that HUGE venue open all the time? Why didn't they just open it when they actually had HUGE shows? According to this week's SNARK in the Coast, they're closing down because people want free water.
Also, G. W. Bush is coming to Hal-town next Wednesday. I'm scared. I still vividly remember the G7 finance minister thing when I worked at Mahons. For that reason, I hope he doesn't leave the airport. But fuck, things'll be interesting wherever he is. Maybe we'll be on the Daily Show.
My nose still hurts. A month later. It's not like I'm waling around in constant pain, but when I rub my nose or my eyes, the pain shoots through my skull from the bridge of my nose. Maybe I did break it. Why didn't it bleed? The damage, however, wasn't permanent as I had first suspected. My sense of smell has returned. The sniffer is a little crooked.
4 Comments:
Holy shit! He's going to Nova Scotia? Fer real? Are you going to protest?
By
Beth, at 27/11/04 9:29 pm
i thought i broke my nose a few weeks ago. there was no blood or protruding bones but it was so sore it i was cursing for a week. it still hurts a little when i blow my nose, i think it was bruised cartiledge. i guess i should have had an x-ray taken but that would involve not being lazy. i can only hope that you injured your nose in as humourous & embarassing a way as i did. i will be visiting your fair (ha!) city for a few days starting december 13th, hope to see you out. p.s. sorry you didn´t get a postcard, i´m out of money and going to chiapas for a week. should be interesting.
By
a.m., at 29/11/04 3:35 pm
Katie: yep, he's coming here. According to today's paper, Colin Powell and Condelleza Rice are expected to come too. I probably won't protest, even though a big part of me wants to. But, if it goes on schedule, I should be able to hear his speech and still make it to work on time. So, right now it's a toss-up between getting my first good night's sleep in awhile, and prolonging it for one more day to be a part of history.
wench: I don't think it matters that neither of us got x-rays. They can't really do much for a broken nose, and if it were serious enough to need attention, I think we'd know. I don't know how you hurt your nose, but I dove face-first into a vending machine. You can read about it in Octber 26 and 29 entries. Mine was probably just a nasty bruise as well, but it hurts more than a little and not just to blow it. I'm not mad about the postcard (but thanks for remembering). We didn't really know each other well enough to spend money on postage. It sucks being poor. That said, I do hope to see you when you're in town. Have a good time in chiapas.
By
crystal, at 29/11/04 10:24 pm
Yeah, so I didn't protest. No surpirse in that. I've only protested once in my life. I don't regret staying home and watching, live on tv, that insulting speech of jokes (essentially playing on Canadian stereotypes and making fun, in an attempt to lighten things up) and endless repetition of the words "freedom", "terror", and "liberty." I am happy and thankful that thousands (3000 according to some, up to 7000 according to other sources) of people DID go out and protest. I'd feel like quite the heel if no one went and I was part of that no one.
By
crystal, at 3/12/04 11:04 am
Post a Comment
<< Home