On my birthday, I found myself thinking of past birthdays. Last year, only a few people came over to celebrate, but I've realized that I like all those people. That's nicer than having a party, where ultimately someone you don't like is going to come. A friend of a friend. Some of those folks that came over last year, I haven't seen much of and I miss them. The rest are people I've spent more time with this year, and I like that. The year before last was my first out of town show. The Mos Huntslers, The Briefs, and Made in the World went to play a show in an old schoolhouse in Mahone Bay with some local bands. That was a good time, and I thought about how I was going to see a few of those girls in just a few hours. In Montreal. I had only ever driven through Montreal with my parents on my way to Ontario. I've never had fun in Montreal.
We got to the venue and it smelled of pee. Old Pee. I know most places don't have very clean bathrooms, but the pee smell was in the front entrance. Once people got there with their perfume and drinking and smoking, the smell was masked. Ali and Beth didn't notice. The show was fun, although ridden with technical difficulties and gaps. It was our first show of the tour and we had driven for a couple days. We hadn't been playing much, except our cash grab shows to pay for the tour. There were ninjas flying around.
After the show, Ali told Chik, Christ, and the Employee how to get to her place so they could relax/sleep while we drank. Then we went to a place called the Miami where Beth seemed to buy all or most of the beer. Thank you. It was a great birthday. The place was described to me as "Charlie's in Montreal", and the description did fit. Many of the people out on the patio (terrace) were sketch and offered us things.
KC and I got to sleep in Beth's new office. It's a bachelor/one bedroom apartment that is next to, but separate from, her apartment. Now this was my best sleep of the tour. We had to call Darcy by a certain time in the morning, and so we borrowed an alarm clock. I had an opportunity to take a shower, and tried. However, Beth had never used it before, and when I tried, the water sprayed directly at the shower curtain, leaking out all over her floor. There didn't seem to be a way to adjust it properly; it seemed like it was on the wrong side of the curtain rod. But, there wasn't a bathtub, just a square porcelain lip to catch water from the shower. I sat down, and cleaned myself the best I could, under the faucet. A problem arose when we did call the other guys. Beth was still asleep, in her apartment, and we didn't know where we were, but I knew we were on the next street over, parallel to the street on which we drank. We found a place to meet them and went somewhere for breakfast. That waitress was great, and the bathroom was where I squeezed out my first turd of the tour (it got easier once I was used to being away from home).
And then we were back in the van on our way to Tee Oh.
We got to the venue and it smelled of pee. Old Pee. I know most places don't have very clean bathrooms, but the pee smell was in the front entrance. Once people got there with their perfume and drinking and smoking, the smell was masked. Ali and Beth didn't notice. The show was fun, although ridden with technical difficulties and gaps. It was our first show of the tour and we had driven for a couple days. We hadn't been playing much, except our cash grab shows to pay for the tour. There were ninjas flying around.
After the show, Ali told Chik, Christ, and the Employee how to get to her place so they could relax/sleep while we drank. Then we went to a place called the Miami where Beth seemed to buy all or most of the beer. Thank you. It was a great birthday. The place was described to me as "Charlie's in Montreal", and the description did fit. Many of the people out on the patio (terrace) were sketch and offered us things.
KC and I got to sleep in Beth's new office. It's a bachelor/one bedroom apartment that is next to, but separate from, her apartment. Now this was my best sleep of the tour. We had to call Darcy by a certain time in the morning, and so we borrowed an alarm clock. I had an opportunity to take a shower, and tried. However, Beth had never used it before, and when I tried, the water sprayed directly at the shower curtain, leaking out all over her floor. There didn't seem to be a way to adjust it properly; it seemed like it was on the wrong side of the curtain rod. But, there wasn't a bathtub, just a square porcelain lip to catch water from the shower. I sat down, and cleaned myself the best I could, under the faucet. A problem arose when we did call the other guys. Beth was still asleep, in her apartment, and we didn't know where we were, but I knew we were on the next street over, parallel to the street on which we drank. We found a place to meet them and went somewhere for breakfast. That waitress was great, and the bathroom was where I squeezed out my first turd of the tour (it got easier once I was used to being away from home).
And then we were back in the van on our way to Tee Oh.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home