Janice inspired me to do this, and some of them will end up being repeats from her list, although some of those Liverpudlian crazies are only legends to me.
Top 10 Crazies:
10. Popeye--KC calls him Popeye. He's deaf and he bums for money on Barrington Street. When KC would walk by, Popeye would always roll up his sleeve and flex his muscles. He always told me he loved me.
9. Bra-Strap Woman--Graduates of Mahons will remember her. I used to know her name, but fuck, it's lost on me now. Big, big lady. And, well, whatever. Like Charlie (#5), she was a bit, uh, retarded. She was a thick woman with a black buzz-cut. She always came into the store while waiting for the bus. She would stand in the doorway, obsessively pulling at her bra-strap, grunting all the while. I could tell her grunting was attempting to say something, but I never understood. I tried my best to be nice, and figure it out, but I often couldn't.
8. Leroy--Sweet guy. Mentally handicapped Mahons photocopy customer. He always came in for photocopies of pictures he had. Pictures of friends and family. Most times, he would try to give me the picture and just take the bad, black and white copy. "For you, for you." No, no, it's yours, take it please. He loved me. He came in when I wasn't working one time, and gave Ali some artwork to give to me. I still have that [I think], and a picture of him with some friends.
7. Junkie Man--I'll guess that as well as crack, he's a heroin junkie. It's just that heroin does something to the user's voice; the way they speak. I call it "heroin voice". You can hear it in Nirvana and Sonic Youth. I've seen this guy wandering the streets for years. KC would often give him some change or a smoke and get into little conversations. A few years ago, we were walking past the Armouries, and he said hi to KC. "Hey, I haven't seen you around in a long time" was his response. Junkie Man explained that he had been in jail and just got out. Then he rolled up his sleeve and showed us his infected arm. I kid you not, it was VERY reminiscent of the arm in Requiem for a Dream, without the exaggeration. This wound was real; not some Hollywood concoction. He's still around. I sold him smokes this week.
6. Beeper--Another product of that town down south. An obvious product of incest, he did not look normal. I was back in high school, at 19, and in a town where I knew no one. The people I had met were all home for the summer, and they didn't live here anymore. But at the same time, I wasn't there to make friends, and I basically spent most of my time alone. I'd go to class, go to the cage for cigarettes, and eat lunch in the hall. I witnessed the bullying of Beeper daily. I don't even know what his name was. Sometimes, I'd go for a smoke with him around the school, hiding from bullies. When I would ask his name, he'd always say "Just call me Beeper, everyone does." He talked cars a lot. I don't know much about cars, and I don't actually care to. Then one day, he told me that if anything happened with me and my boyfriend, he'd like to go out with me, "in a second". I didn't know what to say. I mean, I'm STILL with KC and it's 6 years later, and he was inbred. I don't mean to be discriminatory, but come on, his parents were close relatives and his ears were satellite dishes..., his eyes were too close together..., cars...,... Last I heard, he was now a father. The mother is of similar upbringing and the baby has a hole in his heart and other health problems.
5. Charlie--"Hi. Hi. Go home." You know, he never really said go home to me much. I think he liked me. He used to ride around Liverpool on a bike with a little radio. One day, at The Apartment, I saw him play guitar and sing. Someone video taped it [Bursey, maybe]. When KC worked at Lane's, Charlie would always go into the dish-pit and tell KC to go home. Then he would start washing dishes.
4. Lesbian Seagull--This is a fella I was friends with in Bedford. He was completely nuts. A conspiracy theorist who lived in the woods and believed in supernatural stuff. One morning, coming down from acid, I went on a roach hunt with him. This involved going to all the prime pot-smoking spots in town. We came home with quite a lot. In Clayton Park, Jason Wamboldt gave him his nickname. It fit with his sleek, feminine physique, long hair, and other seagull-like qualities [dirty, scavenger, anemic]. He was nice, and I kinda feel bad putting him on the list, but ultimately he belongs; his mother kicked him out because he was interfering with her connections with the spirits.
3. Dancin' Mike--I used to always see this guy at Cousin's and the Mokka. KC would talk to him at great length; he likes talking to crazy people. I usually felt uncomfortable and drank my coffee. Now I see him, often at Reflections, and I see why people call him Dancin' Mike. The first week at my job, I saw him befriend a couple of tourists a lead them to the Split Crow.
2. Rob Smith--I hear he went crazy from acid. Reportedly, he was fairly normal beforehand, but there was always something a little off. I guess he would bring people to his place, where he would smoke weed with them and then promptly throw up. He was the first person I met in Liverpool. At Tim Hortons. We went back to his place and smoked pot. He didn't throw up. We'd always go for a walk with him if we bumped into him. I remember dragging him back to the Pizzeria for coffee. He sat there and turned red, shaking. He disappeared for a year or two. Then I saw him drifting around town. I saw him walking sketchily down Cunard, reading Tarot cards at the library, and one time, he came into Dairy Queen to say hi and show me his stitches. Apparently, he was very drunk and got kicked out of Dooly's, in L-dot. He was so angry, he beat up the car that he thought belonged to the guy that gave him the boot. He knuckles were mush.
1. Charlie Ashcroft--Oh man. He used to sit out in front of the liquor store, in Liverpool, busking with an accordion. He would talk to KC for hours upon hours, if allowed to. He was a tiny, feral cat of a man. We'd go back to his place, where we'd be subjected to countless recordings of him and his friends, and conversation about gear and numbers and volume. Meanwhile, I'd be suffocating on the horrid cat-piss stench. You know the smell if you've ever been in a house where there is a dirty litter box, but multiply anything you can imagine by about a thousand times. This guy has probably had hundreds of cats in and out of his house, and they ALL used the carpet. The whole time, his crazy, drunk wife would be laying around in their bedroom. Once, she pulled a shotgun on KC and his friends.
And now that I've finally completed my list, I wish I could add more. I had trouble coming up with the right 10, and now I can think of others. People I went to school with last year, some friends of mine (but I would never name them here), the deaf note-passer guy that J mentioned, the girl that laughs for no reason and talks to herself, that guy that thought my friends and I were stalking him and we thought the same of him, and even my own, dear old Grandma. But I guess those are stories for another day.
Top 10 Crazies:
10. Popeye--KC calls him Popeye. He's deaf and he bums for money on Barrington Street. When KC would walk by, Popeye would always roll up his sleeve and flex his muscles. He always told me he loved me.
9. Bra-Strap Woman--Graduates of Mahons will remember her. I used to know her name, but fuck, it's lost on me now. Big, big lady. And, well, whatever. Like Charlie (#5), she was a bit, uh, retarded. She was a thick woman with a black buzz-cut. She always came into the store while waiting for the bus. She would stand in the doorway, obsessively pulling at her bra-strap, grunting all the while. I could tell her grunting was attempting to say something, but I never understood. I tried my best to be nice, and figure it out, but I often couldn't.
8. Leroy--Sweet guy. Mentally handicapped Mahons photocopy customer. He always came in for photocopies of pictures he had. Pictures of friends and family. Most times, he would try to give me the picture and just take the bad, black and white copy. "For you, for you." No, no, it's yours, take it please. He loved me. He came in when I wasn't working one time, and gave Ali some artwork to give to me. I still have that [I think], and a picture of him with some friends.
7. Junkie Man--I'll guess that as well as crack, he's a heroin junkie. It's just that heroin does something to the user's voice; the way they speak. I call it "heroin voice". You can hear it in Nirvana and Sonic Youth. I've seen this guy wandering the streets for years. KC would often give him some change or a smoke and get into little conversations. A few years ago, we were walking past the Armouries, and he said hi to KC. "Hey, I haven't seen you around in a long time" was his response. Junkie Man explained that he had been in jail and just got out. Then he rolled up his sleeve and showed us his infected arm. I kid you not, it was VERY reminiscent of the arm in Requiem for a Dream, without the exaggeration. This wound was real; not some Hollywood concoction. He's still around. I sold him smokes this week.
6. Beeper--Another product of that town down south. An obvious product of incest, he did not look normal. I was back in high school, at 19, and in a town where I knew no one. The people I had met were all home for the summer, and they didn't live here anymore. But at the same time, I wasn't there to make friends, and I basically spent most of my time alone. I'd go to class, go to the cage for cigarettes, and eat lunch in the hall. I witnessed the bullying of Beeper daily. I don't even know what his name was. Sometimes, I'd go for a smoke with him around the school, hiding from bullies. When I would ask his name, he'd always say "Just call me Beeper, everyone does." He talked cars a lot. I don't know much about cars, and I don't actually care to. Then one day, he told me that if anything happened with me and my boyfriend, he'd like to go out with me, "in a second". I didn't know what to say. I mean, I'm STILL with KC and it's 6 years later, and he was inbred. I don't mean to be discriminatory, but come on, his parents were close relatives and his ears were satellite dishes..., his eyes were too close together..., cars...,... Last I heard, he was now a father. The mother is of similar upbringing and the baby has a hole in his heart and other health problems.
5. Charlie--"Hi. Hi. Go home." You know, he never really said go home to me much. I think he liked me. He used to ride around Liverpool on a bike with a little radio. One day, at The Apartment, I saw him play guitar and sing. Someone video taped it [Bursey, maybe]. When KC worked at Lane's, Charlie would always go into the dish-pit and tell KC to go home. Then he would start washing dishes.
4. Lesbian Seagull--This is a fella I was friends with in Bedford. He was completely nuts. A conspiracy theorist who lived in the woods and believed in supernatural stuff. One morning, coming down from acid, I went on a roach hunt with him. This involved going to all the prime pot-smoking spots in town. We came home with quite a lot. In Clayton Park, Jason Wamboldt gave him his nickname. It fit with his sleek, feminine physique, long hair, and other seagull-like qualities [dirty, scavenger, anemic]. He was nice, and I kinda feel bad putting him on the list, but ultimately he belongs; his mother kicked him out because he was interfering with her connections with the spirits.
3. Dancin' Mike--I used to always see this guy at Cousin's and the Mokka. KC would talk to him at great length; he likes talking to crazy people. I usually felt uncomfortable and drank my coffee. Now I see him, often at Reflections, and I see why people call him Dancin' Mike. The first week at my job, I saw him befriend a couple of tourists a lead them to the Split Crow.
2. Rob Smith--I hear he went crazy from acid. Reportedly, he was fairly normal beforehand, but there was always something a little off. I guess he would bring people to his place, where he would smoke weed with them and then promptly throw up. He was the first person I met in Liverpool. At Tim Hortons. We went back to his place and smoked pot. He didn't throw up. We'd always go for a walk with him if we bumped into him. I remember dragging him back to the Pizzeria for coffee. He sat there and turned red, shaking. He disappeared for a year or two. Then I saw him drifting around town. I saw him walking sketchily down Cunard, reading Tarot cards at the library, and one time, he came into Dairy Queen to say hi and show me his stitches. Apparently, he was very drunk and got kicked out of Dooly's, in L-dot. He was so angry, he beat up the car that he thought belonged to the guy that gave him the boot. He knuckles were mush.
1. Charlie Ashcroft--Oh man. He used to sit out in front of the liquor store, in Liverpool, busking with an accordion. He would talk to KC for hours upon hours, if allowed to. He was a tiny, feral cat of a man. We'd go back to his place, where we'd be subjected to countless recordings of him and his friends, and conversation about gear and numbers and volume. Meanwhile, I'd be suffocating on the horrid cat-piss stench. You know the smell if you've ever been in a house where there is a dirty litter box, but multiply anything you can imagine by about a thousand times. This guy has probably had hundreds of cats in and out of his house, and they ALL used the carpet. The whole time, his crazy, drunk wife would be laying around in their bedroom. Once, she pulled a shotgun on KC and his friends.
And now that I've finally completed my list, I wish I could add more. I had trouble coming up with the right 10, and now I can think of others. People I went to school with last year, some friends of mine (but I would never name them here), the deaf note-passer guy that J mentioned, the girl that laughs for no reason and talks to herself, that guy that thought my friends and I were stalking him and we thought the same of him, and even my own, dear old Grandma. But I guess those are stories for another day.
1 Comments:
I can't believe that I forgot about Ashcroft! And his wife, who bought maximum ice and pushed poor Charlie down the stairs. Oh, and Beeper. One year my dad had me work a Privateer Days stand, selling pop, and Beeper wouldn't leave me alone so I paid to have him put in that fake jail.
Janice | Email | 06.04.04 - 2:23 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about the guy who wanders around town yelling obscenities at people? One time I came out of the folklore music stop and I walked passed him and he yelled out "Hey! You lost your glasses!!" They were on my face. I said thanks, and walked away...I have tons of stories about that guy...
Bud | Email | 06.04.04 - 2:26 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I thought Popeye only loved me. He was my favorite, never asked for anything, just expressed his undieing love.
erin | Homepage | 06.04.04 - 3:18 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leroy loved me, too. He'd show me photos of people he claimed to be his girlfriends and draw me pictures with colored crayons, back when I used to hang at The Great Taste. What a sweet guy. The girl who worked at The Great Taste told me that she could tell I was special because I got the drawings with the tents in them.
annabel | Homepage | 06.04.04 - 5:40 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought Popeye only loved me too. What the!?
claudette | 06.04.04 - 5:52 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J: Yes, how could you forget the Ashcroft family? I don't know what's happened to him now, considering his home has been demolished and is now a parking lot for the Baptist church. I'd love to see Beeper in the fake jail. Actually, I've NEVER even seen the fake jail. I only go to the beer tent during P Days.
Bud: Unfortunately, I can't picture who you mean. Lots of people yell and swear. I'm sure I swore back at him at some point.
erin and claudette: I'm pretty sure Popeye loves EVERY woman.
annabel: I *love* Leroy. He was such a sweetie, really. I ceratinly felt special when Ali gave me the drawings he left. My friends and I always used to call that place the Great Waste, but that didn't stop us from hanging there when in town.
crystal | 06.04.04 - 9:07 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when proskates was on barrington they had a zine and they had some sort of personnel profiles type thing, and popeye was in it, except they called him punchy, because a lot of the time the way he reacts to guys is by putting up his dukes and/or flexing his muscles.
and then there's dancing mike, who i like to call "crazy dancing mike".... because he's crazy. i actually like him a lot and make it a point to have a conversation with him every time i see him. it's always like 'hey mike', and he's like 'how do i know you?' and i'll be all, 'remember, you came in the record store on gottingen the other day and asked for a light', and usually he remembers.... or pretends to. he actually seems somewhat intelligent. once i was talking to him and he said to me 'have you ever seen the way some of these people fucking talk to me? what is wrong with them?', and i totally agreed.
also, ian hart really wants to beat him up... except that ian couldnt beat up anybody.
ger. | 06.06.04 - 4:23 am | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When proskates was on Barrington, I sold those guys sushi. Punchy/Popeye. I think that's the same reason that KC calls him Popeye. You know, the whole muscle flex after eating spinach. I can't remember any of the conversations KC would have with Mike, but they were fluent and intelligent. It's pretty sad that people can lose control of their mind like that. He can't help that he's crazy. It was really nice when he took those tourists. I was on Blowers trying to describe how to get to the Split Crow. I'm really bad at giving directions, and I couldn't go far because I was just on a smoke break. He overheard and said "Hey, I know the Split Crow. I'll show you."
I don't have a point.
crystal | 06.06.04 - 1:18 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think Mike's the guy I'm talking about...Glasses, balding, green jacket?
Bud | Email | 06.07.04 - 11:22 am | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I think. I can't picture his jacket, but balding, glasses, red hat...
crystal | 06.07.04 - 11:42 am | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bra-Strap woman from Mahons said three things:
"It's COLD outside. It's COLD outside."
"My BIRTHday yesterday. My BIRTHday yesterday."
"Yeeeah. Yeeah."
I guess that's technically only two things.
briantheling | 06.07.04 - 3:53 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't, whashername, Debbie (the boss before Kelly), screw her over on her BIRTHday?
crystal | 06.07.04 - 7:10 pm | #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crazy Mike.
His charm ran amuck after he screamed a rather obscene name at me on Spring Garden for no good reason.
Zero tolerance.
Witch | Email | Homepage | 06.09.04 - 1:07 am | #
By
crystal, at 7/9/04 12:18 am
Post a Comment
<< Home