Oh, the nice days in Halifaxe. Today is one of those days that I like in Halifaxe. It's nice enough out to enjoy walking around downtown. And I mean enjoy. In another couple months, it'll be too hot out and the streets will be swarming with tourists.
But it's a good thing I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere. After I bumped into Anneka at the Second Cup (thanks for the coffee), it probably took me about a half an hour to get to Barrington Street. Ok, I can't blame it all on bumping into people; I did stop at the Black Market for a sec. I hadn't been in there for a year or so. I bought a pin; Eva's looked lonely. So, I thought I'd stop into Mary Jane's for the first time in about 2 years (remember when it was called Pipeline? I liked that name).
That's when I literally bumped into someone I hadn't seen since Grade 11.
Oh, uh, sorry... we both say at the same time.
"Hey. Is your name Crystal _____?" [I don't want this to come up in google. I'm the only person on the planet with my name]
Yeah.
"Oh, I'm Brad ______. Do you remember me?"
I sure do. Do you remember how you had a crush on me and then ended up back with your ex-girlfriend, and then I moved to Bedford and never saw you again? Maybe we'll see each other more now that you live on Brunswick Street. I actually didn't get a chance to say anything to him other than "yeah, I remember you" because Drock walked in and distracted me with Creep.
Blowers Street presented me with Andy and Greg. When I finally get to Barrington Street, I talk to Meghan a bit. I had been friends with her since Grade 5 and when I started smoking in Grade 11, she gave me the silent treatment for a week. She saw my new pin. She laughed and told me I was crazy. I see her downtown every summer and we have nice little chats.
Finally, I made it to CD Plus to give them some Hold cd's.
As good as my day has been, I'm stressed. I'm supposed to be looking for a job. I don't even have my REZOOM ready yet. I can't express the dread I feel right now. I know Janice understands; we've talked about more than once. Looking for a job is absolute hell for me.
Walking into places I don't really want to work in the first place, giving them a resume, and hoping they call back. And then when they do call back, I fuck up the interview. God damn social problems. I'm always too shy and nervous in interviews. And honest. I don't think quickly enough to answer "properly."
But the thing is, I'm [usually] pleasant to work with, I'm a quick learner, and, as much as I hate work, I have an extremely high work ethic...when I do have a job. I got that from my mom. Working her ass off doing hard labour, only to raise her daughter below the poverty line. She's lucky I was an only child.
The other thing that makes it hard this year IS my resume. I wouldn't hire me. I took 3 different programs at 2 different schools only to be the miserable failure I am. That looks worse than just not going to school after High School. Also, I refuse to work food service this year, but except for Mahons, it's the only work experience I have. For some reason, I can't get a measly retail job because I'm type-casted in the food industry. Seriously, how is it that different? And, the service experience I have ain't high class...Momoya, Harvey's, Pizza Delight, Deli Green...
It's not that I feel those jobs are below me [although, really, those shit jobs are below almost everyone], it's more that they drive me crazy. One of these days, I'll lose it on one of those fucking yuppies on their lunch break. Oh, and then there's the Tall Ships. I WILL NOT go through that again!!! That's I vow I made myself 4 years ago, when I heard they planned to return in the Oh Four.
I think I better call my mom and ask to borrow some money.
FAXE hands tonight...I hope I can drag my ass outta bed tomorrow for the great job hunt.
But it's a good thing I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere. After I bumped into Anneka at the Second Cup (thanks for the coffee), it probably took me about a half an hour to get to Barrington Street. Ok, I can't blame it all on bumping into people; I did stop at the Black Market for a sec. I hadn't been in there for a year or so. I bought a pin; Eva's looked lonely. So, I thought I'd stop into Mary Jane's for the first time in about 2 years (remember when it was called Pipeline? I liked that name).
That's when I literally bumped into someone I hadn't seen since Grade 11.
Oh, uh, sorry... we both say at the same time.
"Hey. Is your name Crystal _____?" [I don't want this to come up in google. I'm the only person on the planet with my name]
Yeah.
"Oh, I'm Brad ______. Do you remember me?"
I sure do. Do you remember how you had a crush on me and then ended up back with your ex-girlfriend, and then I moved to Bedford and never saw you again? Maybe we'll see each other more now that you live on Brunswick Street. I actually didn't get a chance to say anything to him other than "yeah, I remember you" because Drock walked in and distracted me with Creep.
Blowers Street presented me with Andy and Greg. When I finally get to Barrington Street, I talk to Meghan a bit. I had been friends with her since Grade 5 and when I started smoking in Grade 11, she gave me the silent treatment for a week. She saw my new pin. She laughed and told me I was crazy. I see her downtown every summer and we have nice little chats.
Finally, I made it to CD Plus to give them some Hold cd's.
As good as my day has been, I'm stressed. I'm supposed to be looking for a job. I don't even have my REZOOM ready yet. I can't express the dread I feel right now. I know Janice understands; we've talked about more than once. Looking for a job is absolute hell for me.
Walking into places I don't really want to work in the first place, giving them a resume, and hoping they call back. And then when they do call back, I fuck up the interview. God damn social problems. I'm always too shy and nervous in interviews. And honest. I don't think quickly enough to answer "properly."
But the thing is, I'm [usually] pleasant to work with, I'm a quick learner, and, as much as I hate work, I have an extremely high work ethic...when I do have a job. I got that from my mom. Working her ass off doing hard labour, only to raise her daughter below the poverty line. She's lucky I was an only child.
The other thing that makes it hard this year IS my resume. I wouldn't hire me. I took 3 different programs at 2 different schools only to be the miserable failure I am. That looks worse than just not going to school after High School. Also, I refuse to work food service this year, but except for Mahons, it's the only work experience I have. For some reason, I can't get a measly retail job because I'm type-casted in the food industry. Seriously, how is it that different? And, the service experience I have ain't high class...Momoya, Harvey's, Pizza Delight, Deli Green...
It's not that I feel those jobs are below me [although, really, those shit jobs are below almost everyone], it's more that they drive me crazy. One of these days, I'll lose it on one of those fucking yuppies on their lunch break. Oh, and then there's the Tall Ships. I WILL NOT go through that again!!! That's I vow I made myself 4 years ago, when I heard they planned to return in the Oh Four.
I think I better call my mom and ask to borrow some money.
FAXE hands tonight...I hope I can drag my ass outta bed tomorrow for the great job hunt.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home