pistolwhip

Sunday, February 29, 2004

I washed my face before I went to bed last night. I need to make that more of a regular habit. No wonder I have zits like I'm 14, I go to bed with make-up and beer all over my face. Some mornings, my pillowcase is smeared with mascara. Once the smeared make-up was gone I saw what I had hoped would develop into a black eye. I haven't had a black eye since I was 8, and back then I hit myself at night because I didn't want it to go away. It won't be a shiner, it's actually above my eye, and it's not that bad; just another fucking bruise. My legs have more colours than a rainbow right now, especially after my nose-dive off the stage last night. I'm glad I wasn't on a balcony or something "Whoa, man, I can fly!! What a trip." OK, that's not what happened, the truth is I'm just a klutz. It runs in my family. At my mom's wedding reception, a different Bowie woman would spill something, drop something, hit her knees on the table, etc, every couple of minutes. It's hilarious. I even discovered my 13 and 8 year old cousins have the curse, too. I wonder if it only affects the women. What happened last night was I just walked off the stage as if there were no steps down. "oh my God! Are you OK?" "Yeah, actually, I'm perfectly fine, but I'll have a bruise tomorrow." Ripped my pants, and as I stood around talking to people, finishing my last beer, I felt the blood soak into the pants. It's only a tiny cut, but it was bleeding. The first memorable encounter I had with Emily was when I showed up at her house on Hunter Street bleeding from the knee. She gave me an awesome, bandage thingie. I proved at Bloomfieldia that I can't stand on one leg.

Am I allowed to talk about how great last night's show was, or is that lame 'cuz I was in one of the bands? I couldn't help being excited; it's my first time on a cd. Sure, the guys in The Hold have all recorded and released stuff, and I've recorded before, but never sold it or anything--I don't even have a copy of that stuff. It was also only my second time having my picture in the paper. On Thursday, my teacher told the whole class and passed the Coast around the room for everyone to look at and read. After reading about me in a violent, DIY punk band, maybe he now understands why I skip class so much.

Colour TV were great. I always feel bad when a good band has to go first, 'cuz people aren't drunk or pumped yet. But people liked them, and some folks danced. I was too close to the stage, I almost got hit a couple times with the jumps.

Oh God were great, too. Gerry raked the crowd with the mic stand. It looked like he was plowing them, or harvesting them. I didn't want to get involved in the pain as much this week, as compared to last. Last week I got kicked in the hand, last night, I had to play after them, so I wanted my hands to be ok. But, I was up front, so I can't be upset with being forced into the "dancing." I was upset to lose my whole, brand new beer. Shit happens during a set like that, but there was this one guy who hit me EVERY TIME I had my beer to my mouth. I remember the bottle was wet and slippery and I dropped it. I turned around to pick it back up before too much spilled. I couldn't find it, but Alfred handed me a beer. At first I thought it was mine, then I discovered it was a God damned Keith's. Thanks, just the same, Alf, beer is beer, but I'll only drink Keith's if it's free. Because I was getting tired of being slammed around, I stood on the side of the stage. Of course that triggered a shove from Gerry, but I pushed him back.

Finally, it was time for The Hold. I had been running around like a 13 year girl with a sugar-high for the last 2 days. It was our first show (besides a garage in Truro) in just about 3 months. I made a conscious effort to move around on stage as I'm usually quite a statue. I didn't fuck up too much, but it was sloppy. I got to use a mic for the first time. I love screaming.

My favourite compliment from the night "Would you guys sign my cd for me? You guys were fucking great and I'm a fucking old man."

I saw a lot of people last night and couldn't even dream of talking to half of them. There were people there, like my next-door neighbours, that I didn't even know were there. I made a mistake and feel bad about it. There were people I knew I met, but didn't know, so when I mistook someone I know as someone I don't know, I sounded like an idiot. And now he probably thinks I'm a self-centered bitch who has met him many times, and still can't take the time to remember. To be fair, he's the one from his band that I know the least and we've never really said much more than "hi" to each other and I was talking to him after 2 when they were trying to get everyone out and I was loaded.

**I just wanna talk about the "don't touch me thing." Mark Black is constantly bringing it up, especially if I touch him. Here's the issue, and I think it was sorta made clear the first time. It's not that I don't like to be touched, it's that some people can't read body language. Erik humped me from behind while I was at the bar. That was ok. Other people put their arms around me, that also was ok. And even some people (those girls; I've created monsters) kissed me on the cheek or lips. All good. What's not good is having to try to pull away from someone, just to feel them trying to pull me back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home